IELTS General Writing Task 2
The writing section in IELTS General has two tasks.
- Writing task 1 is a letter.
- Writing Task 2 is an essay.
Here we are discussing IELTS General Writing Task 2.
- The questions for IELTS Writing Task 2 are fairly general and cover a wide range of topics.
- An informal essay in response to a statement.
- Writing of 250 words in 40 minutes.
The essay writing task evaluates:
- The writing skills
- Reasoning capability.
Types and Categories of IELTS General Essay Writing Task 2 Questions.
There are mainly 5 types of essays given in the IELTS examination.
1) Opinion essay
2) Discussion essay
3) Problem/ cause and solution essay
4) Advantage and disadvantage essay
5) Direct question essay
6) Two-part essay
7) Compare and contrast essay
1) IELTS Opinion Essay
IELTS opinion essays, also known as ‘agree or disagree’ essays, come up frequently in the writing exam.
How to approach Opinion Essay:
1) You must choose one side of the argument.
Either to agree or to disagree.
2) Always choose the one you can develop the best.
It is okay what you choose (agree or disagree). It’s your freedom.
3) Do not change your opinion partway through the essay.
4) Do not give reasons for the opposing view.
If you fail to do this, you will get a low score for task achievement.
2) IELTS Discussion Essay
In discussion essays, it is important to discuss both sides of an argument.
How to approach Discussion Essay?
1) Discuss both views and give your opinion.
2) State points to agree with the statement.
3) State and support the disagreement part.
4) Finally give your own opinion as well.
Your opinion, in the end, will matter the most. This is up to you again, to decide whether you are agreeing with the statement or not.