IELTS WRITING ACADEMIC SYLLABUS
IELTS Writing Academic – Module Overview:
The IELTS Writing (Academic) module assesses your ability to present and organize information in a clear and coherent manner, as well as your skill in constructing well-structured essays based on visual data and written prompts.
Approximately 60 minutes.
- Task 1: Describing Visual Data
- Interpreting and describing data presented in graphs, charts, tables, diagrams, or maps.
- Presenting key trends, comparisons, and significant features of the visual information.
- Summarizing and selecting relevant information to meet the word limit.
- Task 2: Essay Writing
- Addressing a specific question or statement related to an academic topic.
- Developing a clear thesis statement or viewpoint in response to the task.
- Presenting a well-structured essay with an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
- Provide reasons, examples, and evidence to support your arguments.
Key Focus Areas:
- Task Understanding and Response:
- Analyzing the task requirements and ensuring a relevant and complete response.
- Addressing all aspects of the question or task statement.
- Coherence and Cohesion:
- Organizing ideas logically within paragraphs and throughout the essay.
- Using cohesive devices (e.g., conjunctions, transition words) to link sentences and paragraphs.
- Vocabulary and Lexical Resource:
- Demonstrating a wide range of vocabulary, including academic and subject-specific terms.
- Using appropriate collocations and idiomatic expressions.
- Grammar and Sentence Structure:
- Employing a variety of grammatical structures, including complex and compound sentences.
- Demonstrating accurate use of verb tenses, articles, prepositions, and punctuation.
- Argument Development:
- Developing clear, well-reasoned arguments and providing relevant examples.
- Ensuring a balanced and thoughtful discussion of multiple perspectives (if applicable).
Both Task 1 and Task 2 are scored separately on a scale of 0 to 9 bands. The scores are then averaged to determine your overall Writing band score.
Practice and Preparation:
Use official IELTS writing practice materials, engage in timed writing exercises, and review sample responses to understand the expectations for each task. Practice brainstorming, outlining, and structuring essays effectively.
This syllabus is a general guideline for the IELTS Writing (Academic) module and may vary slightly based on the test center and location. Refer to official IELTS materials for the most accurate and up-to-date information.